27 April 2005

personal blog, stardate 27042005

Sitting at my office desk, looking out the door and a 8-year-old skates by at break-neck speed on rollerblades. This is a university. Not so much with the 8-year-olds. There he goes again. Red hoody and jeans.

He belongs to the 7 months pregnant, 21 year old woman working in the office down the hall as the Dean's receptionist. Do the math. According to her sister (who also works here) she accidentally got pregnant at the tender age of 13 when she spent an evening making out and getting groiny with her junior high boyfriend in a hot tub. The kicker is, the woman claims that there was never any penetration or bathing suit removal on her part, only that he rubbed against her. I'm dubious, but that's their story and they're sticking to it. She didn't even realize she was pregnant (who would at that age?) until she was past 6 months. Apparently she was playing on her school's basketball team and something happened during a game that landed her in the local ER and that's when they figured it out. They just thought she was putting on weight until then.

The woman got married last spring to a nice guy who I've seen once or twice in her office. During the preparation for the wedding she told me (and others) that they were already trying to get pregnant.

I'm not sure why I'm writing this down other than to start my film journal. Seemed like an interesting story. The little boy started it. Right now I'm imagining how I would shoot her story. Whether I would start out with "scene 1 - a little boy skates in front of an office door in a place where little boys don't usually do, the person sittng at the desk observes him and begins to think about the boy's mother. FADE TO: a swimming pool circa 1998.

I think that my first attempts at telling or creating stories are going to be plagued by anvils because in my telling of things, I have a burning need to make sure that people get it when I tell them something or express an idea visually. This need causes me to repeat myself in conversations, especially when I think I've said something clever that everyone in the room should be laughing at.

The other hard part about this will be allowing myself to think like a creator. Let me explain. I admire creators, worship them in fact. Someone who creates is incredibly sexy and irresistable to me and I think that humans are no closer to the divine than when we are creating. This creates (hee!) a problem for me though. Combine my exhaulted opinion with my lack of confidence and self-doubt and I get lazy and wishy-washy and just plain scared. "I'm not worthy," I tell myself repeatedly.

Ugh. It's 5pm. Time to go home.

No comments: